- Run your washer and dishwasher only when they are full. You can save up to 1,000 gallons a month.
- For cold drinks, keep a pitcher of water in the refrigerator instead of running the tap. This way every drop goes in you, not down the drain. Running tap water to cool it off for drinking is wasteful.
- When washing the dishes by hand, fill the sink basin or a large pot and rinse when all of the dishes have been soaped and scrubbed.
- Shorten your shower by a minute or two and save up to 150 gallons a month.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth and save 25 gallons a month.
- Do not use the toilet as a trash can.
- Rinse your razor in a sink with a few inches of warm water. This will rinse the razor as well as running water with far less waste.
- Buy water conservation shower heads, dishwashers, washing machines, and toilets.
- Put plastic bottles in your toilet tank. Put a couple of inches of sand or pebbles in each of two plastic bottles, then fill them with water. Place the bottles safely away from the operating mechanism in your toilet tank. This will displace the water and may save as much as ten gallons a day.
- Take a bath. It only takes 6 inches of water in your tub and it uses less water than all but the shortest shower.
Lawn & Outdoors
- Water your lawn only when it is needed. You can tell when your lawn needs water by stepping on the grass. If it springs back up when you move, it doesn’t need to be watered.
- Water your lawn and/or garden in the early morning before it gets hot or early evening. Try to avoid watering when it is windy.
- Position the sprinkler so it waters only the lawn not the sidewalk or driveway.
- Use a broom, not a hose, to clean driveways and sidewalks.
- Don’t run the hose to wash your car. Use a bucket to wash your car and the hose only to rinse it.
- Be diligent about checking faucets and pipes for leaks. A small drip from a worn faucet washer can waste 20 gallons a day while a larger leak can waste hundreds of gallons.
- Frequently inspect all pipes and fixtures in your home for leaks. Repair any problems immediately!
There are many websites that have great water saving ideas. Check them out!