Precautions to take during a Boil Water Advisory
- Do not drink tap water.
- Do not use ice made from recent tap water.
- Do not use tap water to make drinks, juices, or fountain soft drinks
- Do not allow water to contact open wounds. Otherwise, wash your hands and bathe as usual. Bathing is safe as long as no water is swallowed.
- Wash dishes, fruits and vegetables in boiled water or water that has been disinfected with bleach.
- Brush your teeth with boiled water or commercially bottled water.
- Cook with tap water ONLY if the food will be boiled for at least one minute.
Boil Water Procedure
Do not drink the water without boiling it first.
- Bring all water to a boil
- Let it boil for one minute
- Let the water cool before using or used commercially bottled water
Boiling kills bacteria and other organisms in the water.